[mythtv-users] When the disk is full... what happens?

Greg Foster greg.foster at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 11:47:11 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:46:40 -0500, Anthony Vito <anthony.vito at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is it?  I thought it was on until my disk filled, and I found that
> > it was set to 0 as the threshold, which somewhat counterintuitively
> > disables autoexpire.   Maybe I set it that way and forgot about it, but
> > I had the same problem this guy had.
>
> That's a tough problem. The system really can't act like you expect it
> to. The system can't run out of disk space first... then delete
> stuff... and _not_ miss recording data. The time to delete a file is
> non-zero, even if you have a solid state disk. Unless you setup a huge
> RAM cache to hold the info while the delete occurs... somehow you need
> a little cushion to make everything go smoothly ;)

[snip]

Just thinking out loud...  Perhaps this is a feature request.  If Myth
knows what your average recording size/hour is, would it be able to
present something like:

1.  xx hours recording left.
2.  Current space will allow recordings to continue until day x.

Might be useful for some to see how long their space will last, and
have that presented against their current 'scheduled recordings' list
?

Greg.