[mythtv-users] Multiple frontends watching the same backend program.

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 23:27:48 EST 2005

> Is it at all possible to have multiple frontends watch the same backend
> that is capturing a live program?
>
> What would be ideal for me is to have them all display the dish network
> channel, and have any of them able to change the channel.
>
> Right now I usually end up having to either go into the other room and
> stop the front end's viewing tv, or killing it via a kill command, which
> then usually requires killing and restarting the backend as well.
>
> Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.  I'm using the .16 ebuild for gentoo..
>
> In my case multiple = 2, but it could equal 3 in the future.
>
> I suppose this would require sending the compressed datastream to two or
> more terminals at once.  Perhaps a multicast list?  I'm not sure.
>
> At any rate I was just curious if any of this was possible or perhaps
> just a matter of me doing something differently.

I'm assuming you're not talking about the frontends watching Live TV,
but watching a scheduled recording. I don't know the answer if you're
talking about Live TV. Once the recording's started I think you should
be able to just pick it from the recordings menu in any
(theoretically) number of frontends and view it.

Regards,
Phill