[mythtv-users] Enough power?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 21:00:24 EST 2005

I found out last night that my 11b wifi is not good enough for my
DVB-T recorded nuv's.  I have about 4 clients (mixed 11b/g) connected.
 When I try and play a file from a Samba share, it pauses/jumps every
few frames.

I have a spare 11g router sat on the desk (not plugged in) but I only
have a couple of 11g clients so I fear that the router will only be
able to operate in 11b mode when any of the 11b clients connect.  Its
a D-Link DI-724P+ if anyone can confirm this is wrong I would be
happy.

Also, knoppmyth doesn't support the DLink PCI Wifi cards I have, so I
think I am going to have to look at cables :(

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:18:21 -0600, Robert Denier <denier at umr.edu> wrote:
> Everyone probably knows this, but just in case they don't..
>
> Anytime you see a wireless speed you can probably cut it in half for the
> actual speed you get.  Furthermore the more wireless clients you have on
> a channel, even if they are not transmitting, the slower the network
> operates, although its not a huge difference.  At leasts thats my
> experience with 802.11b networks and the orinoco driver series.
>
> One small point.  I've connected 10Mb devices to a cheap 10/100 hub and
> everything works fine.  I don't know what its actually doing internally
> of course.  Of course if your still using hubs and having bandwidth
> issues, well switches were quite cheap last I looked.
>
> As a final comment.  If your doing anything beyond web browsing.  (I.E.
> mythtv or playing multimedia files over a network, then avoid 802.11b as
> much as feasible.  It simply isn't fast enough to keep everything
> responsive.  That doesn't mean you can't use it for those purposes where
> you truly need it, but well sometimes the time you save not running a
> cable, you lose later.  802.11g might solve those issues, but I've never
> seriously tried to get it working under linux.)  (Netgear MA311 pci
> cards with the orinico and/or hostap driver series are my
> recommendations for linux for 802.11b.)
>
> Matt Mossholder wrote:
>
> > Brad,
> >     Just to clear something up... a 10Mbit client connected to a
> > 100Mbit network does NOT "10x the bandwidth it is using, because it is
> > time that matters." The only way to connect a 10Mbit client to a
> > 100Mbit network is via a switch or bridge, which does rate conversion
> > on each frame. Hench, a 10Mbit client's traffic will be converted to
> > 100Mbit when the frame is sent out by the switch. The time in between
> > the frames to/from the 10Mbit client is free for use by other systems.
> >
> >     Now, if we are talking about something like 802.11, that's a
> > different story.... 802.11b clients definitely have a negative impact
> > on the 802.11g traffic, when the b and g clients are both on the same
> > channel. This is because everything is a broadcast, and in this
> > instance, it really is the time that matters. The 802.11g clients
> > can't talk or be talked to while the 802.11b systems are...speaking...
> > so...slowly....
> >
> >     I agree with everything else though :)
> >
> >         --Matt

GMAIL is 'da bomb baby....YEAH