[mythtv-users] is there an easy way to reboot in software through myth

John Williams williamsbyron at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 19:08:11 EST 2005

> Not sure exactly what you're doing. How are you deleting these
> recordings exactly? Are you deleting them by hand, or something?
>
> You should be able to delete recordings under the Manage Recordings
> menu which deletes the files from disk and updates the mythtv
> database. You certainly shouldn't need to reboot afterwards.

I can speak to what I've seen. If I delete a recording from the view
recordings menu while a program is recording my backend crashes. If he
is new enough not to know how to restart the backend then a reboot
will be the only fix.

Yuo can restart mythbackend using (/etc/init.d/mythbackend restart)
from the command line.

There is a log file monitoring tool called swatch that some people are
using to monitor for the crash and restart the backend if it crashes.
I haven't figured out where to put the entry to make swatch run at
startup so mine isn't working. once I spend some time to figure this
out I'll be better off. Right now I just am not deleting from the view
recordings page, and especially during a recording.