[mythtv-users] Re: HDTV, Myth, HD-2000, HD-3000, questions galore (and hopefully answers from the smart people... )

Blammo [doh] blammo.doh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 17:21:22 EST 2005

(thanks all for both your posted and offline feedback. Per
suggestions, I'm going to try to turn this into a FAQ. I'm not much of
a writer, so sorry in advance. Please reply with anything to have to
fill in the gaps, add catagories, etc. I'll try to keep this update,
and maybe find a Web home for it somewhere. )

FAQ: MythTV, HDTV, and you

1. Hardware
2. Playback
3. Operating System.
4. Overall tips / hints
5. URL's

1. Hardware:

1.1	Do the HD-2000 work better, or are better supported than the HD-3000 cards?
		HD-2000 cards have more stable drivers

1.2	Are there any other cards which do OTA ATSC HD recordings?

1.3	Which cards only work for DVB? Which only for OTA?

1.4	Which cards work with encrypted sources?

2. Playback:

2.1	How much CPU power is required to playback 1080i or 720p streams?
		Playback of 1080i / 720p streams takes about 40-50% of a P4 3gig w/o XvMC

2.2	Are most converting down to 540p for playback? What steps are
involved in doing that?

3. OS:

3.1	What Kernel, IVTV/V4L/BTTV  are recommended for:

3.1.1	HD-2000
		2.6.9 seems to be the most commonly used, with pcHTDV 1.6 driver
3.1.2   HD-3000

3.1.3	Air2PC-ATSC-HDTV

3.1.4	PVR-x50 coexistant

4. Tips / Hints

4.1 	From what I can glean, best way to succeed is to install the HD card
into a different backend (if you already have a backend with PVR-XXX's
in them) run a 2.6 kernel, and patch patch patch.

4.2
Thanks to all in advance for any contributions to this information..

5. URL's:

5.1	Hardware
5.1.1	Hauppauge	http://www.hauppauge.com/
5.1.2	Air2PC		http://www.cyberestore.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=10