[mythtv-users] Which Distribution?

Simon Williams ultim8fury at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 00:54:02 EST 2005

> Debian politics are a pain, they may have there uses but they always
> seem to go to the extremes.
>
> Personal I've given up on stable releases from Debian.  The only place
> to be is Sid/Unstable.  The core of Debian is good but dated and
> suggestions are ignored or shot down.  I love the other packages for
> there depth and well worn ways.  Debian is too focused on server use and
> even users that use it for servers are giving up on it.
>
> We need new smart blood at Debian to lead the way.
>
> Paul

I felt the same way and the constant reluctance to release a new build
became a real issue for me. So I went out and started trying other
distros. Ubuntu has come out top IMO. Its debian based so you get all
the convenience of easy package management. Has a 6month release
schedule, is more focused on desktop usage ( although there is a
server install available ) is focused on only the major platforms i.e.
x86, AMD64, PPC. Considering they've not been around long they've done
a seriously good job on their first release and the new Hoary release
is set to be even better. As an added bonus myth packages are in their
archive repository making myth install a breeze.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org

Simon.