[mythtv-users] Re: Putting a toe in the CVS water

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 20:08:22 EST 2005

> On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 23:52 +0100, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > do you know about ATrpms' CVs builds of MythTV? They are in the
> > bleeding section, and may eat up your favourite shows and have your
> > wife divorce you, but you can still treat them like usual packages
> > (uninstall, downgrade etc).
> >
> > I would reocmmend it as a first step towards going full CVs self-build
> > stuff.
>
> And I would strongly recommend them for any future CVS build. Get the
> src RPMs and drop a new checkout in & rebuild (after you've sorted the
> macros out - see the atrpms list for a not-complete-set, sigh).
>
> Keeps the whole system much tidier and a lot easier to use; the
> dependencies and later upgrades are all taken care of for you by
> apt/rpm.

OK - thanks for the advice. Couple of questions:

1) How up to date with CVS are Axel's CVS RPMs?

2) Is there any howto stuff amywhere on how to do it with Axel's CVS
RPMs? Just as I thought I'd understood how to go CVS this adds a new
angle to it so I want to make sure I've got my head around this before
I start. I understood wiping out all the mythtv rpms and then
downloading, configuring, compiling and installing the CVS source
code. How does using the CVS RPMs differ from this. Do they basically
download and put the source code somewhere and from that point on it's
the same as normal CVS?