[mythtv-users] Low power backend suggestions?

Neil Davidson lists at backslash.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 15:40:12 EST 2005

> > The Mprocessors and motherboards are very expensive - to the point
> > that I thought the cost/benefit would be an issue.very
>
> Yes, they are quite expensive.  I was hoping someone on the list has had
> experience with the mobile AMD processors.

I have a mobile Athlon in my system. runs very cool, in fact the onboard CPU
fan monitor constantly beeps when enabled to tell me my fan is running too
slow. The cooler on it is temperature controlled and is usually running as
low as it can without stalling :)

> > Thought about the VIA stuff?
>
> I assume you're talking about the mini-itx boards?  They would be
> just fine,
> but as far as I know, those only have one pci slot.  I need 2 at the very
> least for my M179's.

if you are sure you only need two slots you could get away with it. Because
PCI is a bus protocol then you can split the slot in two with an adapter. I
can't remember all the specifics about it, but most cards and systems should
be happy with this arrangement (I think bus mastering devices have a problem
with it, but could be wrong on that two)