[mythtv-users] Recording HDTV shows to DVD

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Jan 17 14:32:12 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 11:39:27AM -0500, Roy Murphy wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:31:03 -0500 (EST), Cory Papenfuss
> <papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu> wrote:
> > > Why can't you burn a data DVD with the Myth playable file on it?
> >
> >        You certainly could.  Change the
> > 1028_20040828194300_20040828224500.nuv kinda name to a .mpg, 'mkisofs',
> > 'cdrecord', and play it from within mythvideo.
> >
> >        Of course, I suspect it'll fit about 1/2 hour is all.
>
> That's why I bought a dual-layer burner for my soon-to-be-built-I-hope Mythbox.

Except, annoyingly dual layer dvds are about $7 each while single layer
I've gotten for under 30 cents.   So I haven never used my dual layer
feature yet.

However, if your goal is quality in a smaller size but not playability
on a traditional DVD, then mp4 transcoding is your goal.   Generally,
you can also convert your 1080i down to 1280x720, since that's the native
resolution of most of the HDTVs sold today.  (You only loss would be that
when, a few years from now, you can get a cheap 1080 line TV, you will
have lost half the pixels.)

(Of course there are 1080 line CRTs out there today, including the 34 inch
Sony TV at an affordable price, but they are a small part of the market.
And getting a 21" computer CRT that can do 1080 lines is of course not
hard at all.)