[mythtv-users] Putting a toe in the CVS water

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Jan 17 07:37:45 EST 2005

> 1) ATRPMs installs into /usr but all the mailing list stuff I could
> find talked about keeping different versions under /usr/local and
> using symlinks to switch between versions with tools like Stow, Encap,
> OpenPKG. There is a  HOWTO at
> http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/UpgradeToCvsHowTo but it doesn't go
> into much detail. What to do if I want to install CVS stuff into
> /usr/local but all the existing ATRPM stuff is in /usr?

 	I *highly* recommend encap (although I haven't tried any of the
other pseudo-package managers).  Download, compile, install 'epkg' from
www.encap.org.  For all the mythtv parts and packages, put something
like this in the settings.pro:

PREFIX = /usr/local/encap/mythtv-20050117

Compile and install all bits and pieces of mythtv there, and run 'epkg -i
mythtv-20050117'

 	Normally, one would put all packages in individual encaps like:
/usr/local/encap/mythtv-0.16
/usr/local/encap/mythvideo-0.16
/usr/local/encap/mythmusic-0.16

and they'll all get mapped (via symlinks) to /usr/local.  I found that
mythtv doesn't know about its extra modules if you do that, though...
rolling them all together did the trick.

-Cory