[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - PC won't boot or POST with AverMedia capture card

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Sun Jan 16 21:29:49 EST 2005

I haven't had your specific problem, but here is more of a general
approach I might take.  Check after each step.  (Insert universal
disclaimer here.)

1) Is your power supply adequate?  Somehow I doubt thats the issue, but
it might be worth a look.

2) Are the contacts dirty?  A soft pencil eraser can sometimes be used
to clean them but make sure not to leave any of the crums on the
contacts.  Alternatively a q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol  or acetone
should work as well.  Acetone is probably slightly preferable.  I don't
think it leaves any kind of residue, but perhaps someone can check me on
that.  You may want to clean all the cards you test with in case it is
some kind of wierd interference.

2) Reset to bios defaults.  Make sure your settings are very conservative.

3) Look to see if there is a bios update that might fix the problem.
Look both for updates to the motherboard and to the capture card.

4) Try with a different video card.  You said you suspected that.  I
recommend very simple cards for testing.  Of course if your kernel is
setup to allow you to have a console on a serial port, a video card
might not be needed.  Still thats a bit of a pain, and it really doesn't
solve the problem.

5) Take everything out of your system that is not essential for boot up
and try it.

6) Is your hard drive still connected or any drives?  Keep disconnecting
them.  Also take out all but one memory chip.  Yes its unlikely to help
but sometimes you want to truly get to the basics.

7) Try underclocking the system if you can.  By underclocking I mean try
to bring the pci bus below the 33Mhz that I think is the default.  Most
are linked to the normal fsb so if you change that the others follow.

8) If it still doesn't work after trying all that, well you've just
spent hours trying to get a low cost capture card to work, you may want
to consider buying a different card ;)

-Robert