[mythtv-users] Underclocking...?

Asher Schaffer freedenizen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 17:33:14 EST 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 14:18:29 -0800, Cecil Watson <cwatson at linkline.com> wrote:
> Søren Dalsgaard wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I am trying to setup a mythtv box and most bits are in place but the
> >machine is somewhat noisy. I tried spraying a lubricant into the fan
> >on the CPU and the fan on some chip on the motherboard and that took
> >care of the worst bits.But I would prefer an even more quiet pc.
> >
> >My pc is an AMD Athlon 1.1GHz I've found that watching tv through the
> >pvr350 requires 3-5% cpu load so cutting those 1.1GHz in 3 or 4 should
> >not pose a real problem.
> >
> >The fan on the motherboard is a bit of a mystery to me - what does it
> >cool (yes a chip, but what chip and can I remove that fan too when I
> >underclock the pc)?
> >
> >Thanks for your input - it is valued!
> >
> >Søren
> >

> The fan is there to help cool your CPU.  No, you don't want to remove it
> if you underclock the system.  You can replace the fan with one that is
> quieter.  Sorry, I cannot recommend one.  Google and the archive are
> your friends.
>
> Regards,
>
> Cecil

I think the fan you are refering to is the Northbridge fan.  I would
not recommend removing either on the fans.  Try undervolting the CPU
fan after you underclock the cpu, be sure to monitor the CPU temp
under sustained load.  Even at relatively low fan speed, you will
still need a fan to move the air through the case.