[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase howto?

Teruel de Campo chusty at attglobal.net
Sun Jan 16 15:36:24 EST 2005

I'm new to linux. My first project as an introduction to linux has been
MythTV. Im am not familiar with mysql. I am reading from the site as
well as man and a book I got (mysql /Duboi).
-------------------------------------
Sytem: SuSE 9.2 running amd64.
Wintv-pvr 350
ivtv 0.3.2.a
mythtv 0.16
--------------------------------------
Present status:

ivtv device driver working very well both sound and video
mythv working very well. both watch tv and recording.

The three steps i did to install and run mythtv:

(1) run the ./setup for mythtv . When setup finishes it ask to run
mythfilldatabase to populate the channel. I have to IGNORE this instruction
(2) run backend
(3) run front end
Setup the mythfilldatabase inside mythtv and waint until the following
day to populate the channels with information. Then everything OK

---------------------------------------
Here my questions.

(1) if I run mythfilldatabase

$ mythfilldatabase

It runs, it connects to DataDirect, it seems to get all the information,
then loops again and again and finally stop with error that can not access

<Can't connect to local MYSQL server through socket
...../mysql/mysql.sock'>

mysql.sock exist and if I change the permission.

chown -R mysql /var/lib/mysql

then reports a error in program.myi

The final result is that I have to reinstall the mc.sql and also mythtv.
So my approach is just to IGNORE to run mythfilldatabase except within
mythtv as I said before.

My questions: running

$ mythfilldatabase

is this correct? Or I am missing option/parameters?

(2) How can you run mythfilldatabase from outside of mythtv? How can I
refresh the channels from outside mythtv?.
In the mythtv manual there is a session in how to use the cron method.
Is this the ONLY other way to do it?.

In summary my impression is that running

$ mythfilldatabase without parameters is not correct (BTW --help did not
help me)

That there are only 2 ways to run it one is within mythtv like I am
doing it now and the other is with cron. Am I correct?

Any ideas, any instructions, any general statments may help me to
understand what I am doing with mythfilldatabase/mysql

TIA

-=terry(Denver)=-