[mythtv-users] External tuner channel changing problems

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Sun Jan 16 11:22:00 EST 2005

Hello all,

Have set up an IR blaster and have put in the scripts required by MythTV
to change the channels:

"channel_change" being:

#!/bin/csh
echo "changing to $1"
/usr/local/bin/channel.pl $1 &

and "channel.pl" being the pl file I copied from
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cache:w3KH302EM2AJ:members.cox.net/rwraithr/IRBlaster_Howto.txt+channel.pl+mythtv&hl=en&lr=lang_en%20target=nw

and running it directly works just fine:

==================================
mythtv:/usr/local/bin# channel_change 33
changing to 33
[1] 1341
mythtv:/usr/local/bin#
==================================

but when I enter the command "/usr/local/bin/channel_change" in the
"input connections" setup it doesn't work properly.  When I run the
backend and then the frontend, and try to change channels in mythtv, the
backend spits out:

==================================
2005-01-16 15:37:48 Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
changing to
[1] 1393
/usr/local/bin/irsend: not enough arguments
==================================

It seems that mythtv doesn't insert the channel number along with
"/usr/local/bin/channel_change".  I even tried putting
"/usr/local/bin/channel_change 1" in the "External channel change
command" bit, and the exactly same output is shown as above.

Even tried the instructions on
http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html
with the following script:

#!/bin/sh
REMOTE_NAME=JVC_RAW
for digit in $(echo $1 | sed -e 's/./& /g'); do
   /usr/local/lirc-ledxmit/bin/ledxmit-irsend SEND_ONCE $REMOTE_NAME $digit
   sleep 0.4  # note, you may have to tweak the interdigit delay up a
bit, depending on your DISH receiver model
done

but still no help.  Running the script directly works fine, but when
using mythtv, it doesn't change.  And yes, I've restarted the backend.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks very much for your help in advance

Cheers - Piers