[mythtv-users] Where to find HOW-TO for PVR-350 TV-OUT?

Asciimonster asciimonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Jan 16 11:09:16 EST 2005

Frutillar wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I was finally able to get all of the necessary components installed and
>operational on my MythTV.  What I need to do next is to setup the TV-OUT
>feature for my pvr-350.  Where can I find a good, recent guide?

Jarods Guide is still nicely up-to-date (try chapter10):
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php

>A doubt I have is whether I will be able to use the SPDIF audio output on my
>motherboard for the audio once I setup the TV-OUT.

Erm. Yes and No. There are two path to the PVR's TV-Out. First is
through the hardware decoder on the PVR350, the second is through X onto
the framebuffer of the 350 (the framebuffer was originally designed to
be used as the OSD, but we rule!)

Thus,
If you want to use the hardware decoder: Then Yes, because the audio
(two channels) will be included in the TV-out.
If not: Then the picture goes to through X and it's all about getting
linux to do the SPDIF thing, which I have absolutely no experience with.

>Once TV-OUT is setup, my next step will be to add the additional MythTV
>modules... in particular MythDVD.  Will I by able to get the Dolby 5.1
>through my motherboard on-board SPDIF once TV-OUT is enabled?

The hardware decoder does not accept the DVD format, so you'll have to
pipe the image through X and onto the 350's framebuffer.

Hope this helps...