[mythtv-users] nvidia graphics FC 3

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sun Jan 16 00:31:57 EST 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 12:08:26AM +0100, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005, Frank smith wrote:
>
> > On downloading 6629 I open a console as root and use:
> > init 3
> >
> > This on my system seems to try and reboot the pc.
>
> You seem to have a problem in your machine. If switching to runlevel 3
> results in a reboot you need to read the logs and see why it went for a
> reboot as it is an indication of a serious problem on your specific
> machine.

Well, perhaps he means level 5, the one that starts X?  (Frankly I
never have my machines start X on boot, it's asking for trouble in
many cases and how hard is it to run startx?)

Because there many people, including me, have given up on the 6629 driver
as too crash-prone, systems going into hard deaths when trying to start
X, or the X server going into a bad state that forces kill -9, which
means no reset of the console.   After these, I have tried many
different commands to try to fully restore the console, and none work
perfectly.  Anybody know one?  (Starting and quitting X helps but doesn't
return the cursor on my system.)