[mythtv-users] Component Video Output??

Jim Kusznir jim at kusznir.net
Sat Jan 15 22:55:24 EST 2005

Hi all:

I am sorry to ask this on list; it seems like its a "standard question",
but hours of googling still left me with more questions than answers.

I'm working on building a myth box.  Currently, it will not be HD (no
HDTVs or HDTV sources currently).  However, my TV does have component
input (Y, Pr, Pb).  I'd like to utilize this.

I also would rather not spend $100+ on a VGA transcoder if that's
possible.  I've found some cards like:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_2/ati-aiw-9700-pro-6-2003.html
(ATI all-in-wonder 9700)
That have component output built in.  However, I was planning on using a
PVR-250 as my input.

I've also found http://www.trianglecables.com/dvi-hdtv200.html (Radeon
DVI-I to component converter, $29) that is mentioned for working with
certian Radeon cards.  However, I haven't heard much good (and I have
heard a fair bit of bad) about ATI cards on this list.

I have not found any more general information.  For example, is there a
converter like the $29 cited above that works generically with DVI-I?
(like an nVidia card with DVI-I?)

Is there a "tried and true" video card that supports component either
directly or with an inexpensive add-on?  If so, what are they?

Ideally, I'm looking to spend $50-100 on the video output portion of the
box.

Thanks in advance!

--Jim