[mythtv-users] What NOT to do to your Myth box...

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sat Jan 15 14:37:55 EST 2005

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 08:53:58AM -0500, Ian Trider wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 20:47:43 -0800, Brad Templeton
> Sorry for contributiung to the offtopicness of this thread, but I have
> to point out something:  Canadian fair dealing rights ARE stronger --
> private copying is explicitly allowed, and the courts have said to
> CRIA (Canadian Recording Industriy Association) "piss off!" when they
> wanted the identities of "suspected file sharers".  And we have no
> DMCA.

Actually, we're both right.  Canadian fair dealing rights in the broad
spectrum are weaker, but there have been a series of special new rulings
and regulations that have opened up things in the audio area.  In particular
Canada has a broader blank media tax (asked for by the CRIA) which has
resulted in these new regulations.

> As to point #2, I've never heard any such thing and Google knows nothing of it.

The keyword to search for is "icravetv" (non-obvious).  I have also heard
stories of a guy out in Scarborough who has set up a neighbourhood
mythtv/ISP cooperative, where a whole bunch of people have a network
of backends and frontends and ethernet wired among them.   Legal, in
theory, in Canada, but unfortunately not in the USA.