[mythtv-users] commercially-produced mythboxes -- an idea

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Sat Jan 15 06:52:36 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 10:27:26PM -0800, Brad Templeton wrote:
> if you do it cheap you will see:

[..]
> PC-HDTV card:                   $190        (For SDTV and 2nd tuner)
> WINTV-PVR-250                   $130

On an unrelated note, is digital TV coverage in the USA decent enough
that you would be able to forget analog TV sometime soon?

In Australia we have SDTV and HDTV on digital. Some networks don't
transmit all programs on their HD channels, but everything is on SDTV at
least. The bitrates are quite reasonable (~3-5Gb per hour).

My Myth installation has two DVB-T cards. I would only add an analog
capture card if I wanted to capture analog cable TV. For free-to-air,
DVB-T is obvious - the cards are cheap and require very little CPU.

I can't tell if your stations there (USA) are transmitting both SDTV and
HDTV on digital? If you have SDTV on digital, why would you include an
analog card like the PVR-250?

Admittedly for me, Myth was as much a way to get a DVB-T set top box as
a PVR. Now STBs are cheap, but they weren't 1 year ago when I purchased
my Myth hardware.

Hamish