[mythtv-users] Happy...but picture is grainy

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Fri Jan 14 07:06:44 EST 2005

> Now that my wife and I are getting used to it, thought, we've noticed
> that the picture quality isn't *quite* the same as live tv.  I've
> tried increasing the resolutions in setup, but it doesn't seem to
> change the slightly grainy appearance of the tv.  Any thoughts?  My
> system specs are:

 	As others have mentioned, "graininess" may be coming from low
signal level or not enough bitrate on the encoding.  I have long had
issues with the "softness" of my PVR-250 as compared to the tv's tuner.
After a rather involved investigation, I concluded that it appears to be
a limitation of the tuner card and/or driver.  Anything over about 480x480
results in no measurable improvement in resolution.

-Cory