[mythtv-users] Not using both tuners to full effect?

Neil Milne neil.milne at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 01:50:19 EST 2005

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:01:56 +1100, Phill Edwards
<philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> This was covered in detail recently. Basiaclly, mythtv will only force
> the 2nd tuner to be used if you have added the 4 minute overrun onto
> the _program_ recording setting. It doesn't do it if the overrun is a
> global setting. There was much discussion on the pros and cons of this
> in the earlier thread - see
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/99544?search_string=2nd%20tuner

Thanks for pointing out that thread. I'd started to read it but it
wasn't really relevant at the start so I didn't get all the way to the
end.

Seems crazy that I have a second tuner sitting completely unused while
the box chops off the end of a program so it can use only one tuner.
Also seems crazy that I have a global setting (most convenient - means
I don't have to faff around with early/late settings for each
recording) and then that option is chucked away when it needn't be.

Sigh.

So, my options are:
1) Set overrun-underrun settings for *each* recording manually and
forget all about the global ones.
2) Wait for a patch - unlikely to get into CVS I would guess.
3) Learn C++ and write my own patch.

Oh well.

--
Neil Milne