[mythtv-users] Every was fine, now no sound

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 19:19:28 EST 2005

All of the sudden yesterday my  myth machine locked tight and had to
be rebooted.  When it rebooted, X wouldn't start, complaining of
failing to load the nvidia module and no screens.  I had no idea what
caused it, so as a first step I installed the latest NVIDIA drivers.
That seemed to work.  However, since them, my sound won't record
either, with no apparent error messages.

Doing an aplay /dev/dsp gives:

Playing raw data '/dev/sound/dsp' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
underrun!!! (at least 10.234 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 11.397 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 11.496 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 11.311 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 11.503 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 11.500 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 11.497 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 11.500 ms long)
underrun!!! (at least 11.478 ms long)

with a little popping noise to the speakers.

Nothing's changed, at least not intentionally!  Anyone have a clue
what the problem could be?