[mythtv-users] Newbie Question(s)

Mark Gardner markgard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 12:46:42 EST 2005

> I am currently collecting the HW I will use to build my MythTv box.  One
> point i am unclear on is regarding the need for a video card.  I've already
> purchased a WinTv PVR-350 - do I also need a regular video card?  I'm
> planning on using SuSE 9.1.  Do I need a video card to do the OS install, or
> can I do it with just the PVR 350 and a TV (I think the answer should be
> "no")?  If I have a video card, do i even need a TV - can I just stream the
> video to a nice flat-panel LCD and be rid of the TV forever?  Finally, what
> video card would you recommend I use?  For that matter, how about sound
> cards?  I'd like Dolby 5.1, THX, whatever I can get.  Current (planned)
> system specs:
>
> 1) AMD64 3800+, 1G RAM, 1.2T SATA HD, WinTv PVR-350
>
> 2) SuSE 9.1
>
> Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

A couple of pointers..
-If this is going to be a dedicated combo frontend / backend I don't
see any reason to fork out the extra cash on a 64 bit system

- Suse 9.2 is out and has the patched kernel for the 350 Card (just to
make life a little easier)  ivtv docs for 9.2 are comming along nicely
now.

- You cannot setup your system with just the 350 you'll need another
monitor.  However if you want to bag the tv idea and just use VGA on
an LCD you can save some more cash if you just purchase the PVR 250