[mythtv-users] OT: NTP does not seem to be updating...

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Thu Jan 13 00:22:18 EST 2005

nowhere wrote:
> Hi!
>
> My mythbox's clock is drifting and it seems that ntp is not updating the
> clock. There are no messages whatsoever in /var/log/messages for ntp.
>
> Service reports ntpd to be running. If I restart the service it updates
> immediately and just fine and then the correct info is logged in
> /var/log/messages. Just doesn't seem to be doing it automatically.
>

> Thanks!
> Eric

Many good posts here about what the problem might be, but in my
experience, running ntp is often overkill for many simple hosts since it
requires time to sync, measure the drift, etc...

The simplest solution by far is to drop a script in your
/etc/cron.hourly folder, assuming a FC system, which contains something
like:

#/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/ntpdate -u addressofntpserver.com

This will sync your time every hour, requires absolutely no daemon to be
running and works very well.  If you want it to sync more often, say
every 20 minutes, add an entry to your crontab.

Yan