[mythtv-users] Direct encoding for dvd PVR-350

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 16:51:04 EST 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:05:59 -0500, Jeff Simpson <llcooljeff at gmail.com> wrote:
> I might be confused (or wrong) on this, so bear with me for a bit:
>
> My Assumptions:
> 1). The PVR-350 encodes and saves incoming audio/video in MPEG2 720x480
> 2). DVD Video is encoded at MPEG2 720x480
> 3). Framerates are probably the same
>
> What I'd like to get to the bottom of is why nuvexport to "dvd" takes
> ~8 hours for a 30 minute show on a 1.4ghz athlon.
>
> Specifically, I'd like to find out if there is a setting I can change
> in mythtv to make it record directly into a dvd compatible format.
> Barring that, if there is a way to make it automatically transcode
> into the correct format?
>
> Can anybody point me in the right direction on this? I've read a good
> number of scripts for making dvds and transcoding, and I'd like to try
> to get it to save in the right format the first time if possible.
> Thanks!

1. Mark your commercials in Myth

2. Use the MPEG2->MPEG2 option of nuvexport. This step should take
about 5-10 mins on your computer for a 30 minute show. Might take even
less time. Certainly no more than 10 mins.

3. Prepare a video DVD iso using the mpg2 file exported from step 3. I
use DVDStyler. Another app is Q DVD Author.

4. Burn the iso to dvd. I use k3b for this.

HTH,
Lane
--
Meetup with other Myth users!