[mythtv-users] Getting VCR Recordings Into MythTV/MythVideo

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed Jan 12 14:23:47 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 07:15:59AM -0500, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
> >In other words, mythtv might be overkill, considering you are not
> >getting all the stuff it does well -- coordination of listings etc.
> >
> 	Yes, but if you're using the same machine for MythTV currently,
> how will you guarantee that you won't have a tuner conflict?  The point of
> using mythtv to record is that you can set up whatever profile you want
> easily (pick resolution, bitrate, etc), and have Mythtv scheduler know
> about it.  If you've got more than one tuner, it can still record
> something else, rather than get confused when an input that should work is
> busy.
>
> 	I think that "schedule-less" video sources would be a
> not-that-unusual thing to want to have.

Oh, I agree it would be useful, but since you are going to personally
be there for the recording (ie. folks were thinking of it as a "manaul
recording now") a simple visit to the tuner status page of mythweb or
mythtv will tell you that the tuners are free and for how long.

I was just giving some pretty easy methods to do it right now.

It's a hard choice actually.  There is a push to make tools like
MythTV "do everything" -- and that's particularly important when
you put them in front of people who would find the suggestion of
running a video recording program or catting the /dev/video0 as out
of their experience.  But no program can do everything, even all
your a/v needs, and so people prioritize.