[mythtv-users] DVB Radio

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Wed Jan 12 07:40:23 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 07:42:50PM -0000, George Styles wrote:
> Yes the ones i checked do broadcast in mp2.

Radio 4 broadcasts in 192kbit/s mp2 format

> The way I work is I have a script which takes the recorded shows, and
> re-encodes them from mp2 to mp3.

Do you have to re-encode them?  In my experience if you just rename
the file .mp3 then mp3 players will play the file anyway as mp2 and
mp3 are so similar.  I figure 192 k MP2 is pretty good quality and not
too large so I'd rather keep the original format.

> Quite a few people have asked me for this script (and the one that does the
> export), so I have chucked together a quick n dirty page on my Wiki with
> the scripts on it at
>
> http://wiki.ripnet.co.uk/

I have a similar script which looks through all the recorded programs
once an hour then rips the mp2 audio from the recorded programs into
another directory.

It would be very nice if mythtv could record just the audio as its
slightly annoying to record 574MB of useless video (bid up TV at 2
Mbit/s ;-) + audio when all that is really required is the 53MB of MP2
data within it.

I'm working on a program which will stream the audio of recorded
programs and 'LiveTV' to an http mp3 stream.  I plan to use this for
listening to stuff on my squeezebox.  I'll make an annoucement when
its done, but its working proof of concept now (it plays live TV and
recordings via mpg123 now rather than streaming them).