[mythtv-users] OT: NTP does not seem to be updating...

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Wed Jan 12 05:17:36 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 00:27 -0700, nowhere wrote:
> My mythbox's clock is drifting and it seems that ntp is not updating
> the clock. There are no messages whatsoever in /var/log/messages for
> ntp.

I've seen this over the last couple of days, missed the end of several
films because of it :-(. It appears to be a problem with the 2.6.10
kernel since downgrading to 2.6.9 solved the problem.

There have been a couple of threads on linux-kernel but nothing
conclusive so far as I can tell
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110414701624856&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110217676010185&w=2
and possibly
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=110306288417182&w=2
(although I don't use USB so I'm not sure)

Someone suggested using tickadj to change the kernels tick time, so I
installed adjtimex and ran adjtimexconfig which figures out the correct
adjustment and sets everything up to be configured on boot (at least on
Debian) and the clock is now holding the time OK even on 2.6.10. You
could also probably just fiddle by hand using tickadj until the time
seems ok. I guess it'll need to be redone/removed when the kernel is
fixed.

Ian.
--
Ian Campbell

Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you.
		-- Jean-Paul Sartre