[mythtv-users] Myth on the Epia M10000

Derek Jennings derek at disposable.dnsalias.org
Tue Jan 11 20:38:27 EST 2005

On Tuesday 11 January 2005 14:29, BARKER, Paul wrote:
> Hello all
>
> If you read my posts of last week you'll remember that I've been trying to
> build a frontend on an Epia M10K system to replace my current large
> frontend box that used to be a combined fe/be.
>
> I'm having big problems trying to get live TV and recordings to run without
> either audio out of sync messages (which results in dropped frames) or
> prebuffering pauses.
>
> The current fe is an Athlon XP1800 with 512Mb of RAM and my LiveTV
> recording profile is full PAL res at 720X576. (The b/e uses a PVR250)
>
> On the Epia box if I try to watch live TV or a recording recorded at this
> resolution I get choppy playback. If I drop the resolution to 360x576
> things are pretty smooth. My CPU isn't pegged and I've turned off swap,
> switched to alsa and upgraded to the latest alsa kernel mods all as
> suggested in different posts on this list. I'm intending to use MythCVS so
> I can use the CLE266 h/w mpeg stuff and have tried various builds of the
> Unichrome drivers and MythCVS with varying results. I've also put another
> soundcard in and disabled the onboard sound. I'm at a point where I seem
> close to getting this to fly but it's taking up rather a large amount of
> time.
>
> I guess my basic questions are
>
> 1) Is anyone out there running Myth using the Unichrome drivers on an M10K
> and using native PAL resolution without problems ?
> 2) If yes do you use the onboard sound ?
> 3) Am I in overkill land with the 720 x 576 recording profiles ? (I was
> trying to minimise any filtering or scaling)
>
> If I know this *should* work and is possible I'll keep plugging away but
> I'd like to know if I should just stop banging my head on the brick wall
> and switch to a lower resolution ;-)
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul

1/ Yes
This page was very helpful
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=24597&group_id=%20102048
xorg is set up as per
http://www.kingcot.eclipse.co.uk/unichrome/unichromeTvOut.html

2/ Yes. No problem at all.

3/ My back end uses DVB cards which operate at 720x576 and so needs no
scaling.

CPU load is 15% for playing live TV or recordings.

You do not mention your distro. Mine is running on Mandrake 10.1 using RPMs I
made from CVS.

derek