[mythtv-users] Talking to more than one backend

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Jan 11 15:17:49 EST 2005

On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 03:43:50PM +0000, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> we have two mailing lists
>
> dev and users
>
> maybe it is time to go for some finer granularity
>
> install - issues installing the software
> announce - annoucement of new releases
> bugs - posting of bugs/fixes
> hardware - issues with hardware
> discuss - general discussion/fluff
> software - issues running the software
>
> comments please

Some suggest people just tag their posts -- alas, that doesn't
have a history or working well in lists I have been on.  Even
splits don't have a great history.

This may be too many divisions.  However, to me one desirable
split is between "platform" issues and "Mythtv" issues.  I would
say that the majority of traffic on this list is actually platform
issues generated by people trying to bring up MythTV -- hardware,
drivers, what to buy, linux configuration and so on.   These
issues tend to come fast and furious when creating a system,
and diminish once the system is running.

The other list would be for the MythTV core technologies, Myth
itself, and perhaps some of the platform items that are largely
only used because of myth (perhaps lirc, datadirect)

Another way to make this split that is not as clear but might be
clearer for users would be "Initial build" vs. "operating".  This
is going to amount to the same division, though the operating
list would now officially discuss platform issues people encountered
after running for a while.

However, you need to set it up so that people who can answer
new questions still read the initial build list