[mythtv-users] Re: Is this a memory leak?

Michael J. Lynch mlynch at gcom.com
Tue Jan 11 08:10:06 EST 2005

I don't know if this has anything to do with what you are seeing but
recently I had occasion to look at the disk caching code for linux and
it turns out that linux will  use ALL available memory for disk cache
and only release it back to the system under very specific circumstances.

I can post a whitepaper describing exactly what happens and the
mechanisms involved in the context of LiS (linux streams) if you are
interested.

Don Brett wrote:

>OK, maybe I sent everyone on a wild goose chase.  Somebody tell me if
>this makes sense:
>
>- Start X, Mythbackend, Mythfrontend, and start to play live TV, all is
>fine.
>- Watch memory and it grows to almost max, but mythfrontend doesn't
>increase.
>- Stop movie and memory returns to normal.
>- Start live TV again and let it run.  Memory grows to max, then
>swapping starts.
>
>Is the memory growth due to buffered-up video (which is used for jumping
>back)?  If that's the case, then this is perfectly normal operation.
>Or, is there a limit on the amount of ram that mythfrontend should
>consume during playback?
>
>It's starting to sound like my freezing problem is caused by something
>else?  Comments?  Thanks,
>Don

Michael J. Lynch

What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about -- author unknown