[mythtv-users] can't find kernel#2.6.8-1.521

George Lopez geokimlopez at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 15:42:36 EST 2005

--- George Lopez <geokimlopez at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Phil Bridges <phil at gravityhammer.com> wrote:
>

> > > Duh, I am certainly showing my noob-ness
> > >
> > > [root at localhost root]# uname -a
> > > Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.9-1.11_FC2 #1
> Sun
> > Jan
> > > 2 15:49:30 EST 2005 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> > > [root at localhost root]# apt-get install
> > > kernel#2.6.8-1.521
> > > Reading Package Lists... Done
> > > Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > > E: Couldn't find package kernel#2.6.8-1.521
> > >
> > > So, now how do I get my system to install the
> 521
> > > kernel?
> > >
> > > I am running FC2, and sources.list is
> at-testing.
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > George

> > Please don't top-post.  Thank you.
> >
> > OK - I read your dilemma from the beginning.  Your
> > issue, if I read
> > correctly, is that you're "not able to upgrade to
> > the reccomended kernel."
> > while following Jarod's FC2 guide.
> >
> > Please note that Jarod's FC2 guide is no longer
> > being updated, as he has
> > moved to updating the FC3.  A newer kernel has
> been
> > added to ATrpms since
> > Jarod published his guide - 2.6.9xx, which you
> > already have installed.  If
> > you've done an ap-get update && apt-get
> > dist-upgrade, you should be fine
> > kernel-wise.  Skip to the next step of the guide -
> > just please remember that
> > whenever it asks for kernel 2.6.8xx, you do not
> have
> > that version - yours is
> > newer.
>
> Ah yes,
>    So I understand now.  I did apt-get update &&
> apt-get dist-upgrade.  Took a while and multiple
> attempts since quite a few servers were busy.  I
> assume I will have to keep doing so until all of the
> packages load (several attempts resulted in
> connection
> time-out errors).  Is this correct?  Anyway, I
> appreciate everyone's patience.  So here is my
> question, do I need the 2.6.8-1.521 kernel to
> continue
> with my FC2 install or can I continue with the
> 2.6.9-1.6_FC2 kernel (I actually have three kernels
> on
> my system right now (2.6.5_1.358, 9-1.11_FC2 (which
> does not boot up into any graphics type environment)
> and 9-1.6_FC2)?
>
>    If nothing else, I guess I could do a fresh
> install
> of FC3, but that seems a bit drastic if FC2 was
> stable
> and , based upon recent posts, there seems to be
> quite
> a few issues with FC3 atrpm's.  I am really open to
> suggestions here.  The wife is growing impatient
> since
> "Alias" is starting up again.
>
> Thanks,
> George

correction regarding the kernels:
I boot up into 2.6.9-1.11_FC2.  Can I continue with
this kernel or do I have to get the 521 kernel?  I
actually have three kernels on my system right now
(2.6.5_1.358, 9-1.6_FC2 (which does not boot up into
any graphics type environment) and 9-1.11_FC2?

Thanks,
George