[mythtv-users] slightly OT: creating a video on demand library

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 14:49:57 EST 2005

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 13:26:55 -0600, Matt Garman

<snip>

> a VOB itself contains several streams multiplexed together.  So, my
> question was along the lines of: how do I determine which VOBs make
> up the movie.  Once I have isolated those VOBs, how do I strip out
> the extra streams that I don't want (such as foreign languages,
> different camera angles, etc)?

i think you need to use something like ffmpeg for this.  i believe it
allows you to demultiplex the VOB file into it's seperate components
and then edit each of those.

> I figured what I'm doing is fairly common---do most people just copy
> the DVD as an ISO image and store those?

i'm not sure Linux has 'mature' tools for this kind of thing.  i know
it can be done but there isn't an all-in-one solution yet.  you have
to jump through a couple hoops using several different programs.
sorry i can't give you more details.  i've never done this on Linux.
i did research doing this same thing with OS X and found several
articles dealing with Linux as well.
it would be nice if Linux caught up to win on this.  i'm 'almost'
jealous of my friends with windows that have a single 'rip, edit,
burn' type of app for dvds.