[mythtv-users] How to apt-get FC3 kernel?

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Mon Jan 10 13:34:26 EST 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005, Ellen Spertus wrote:

> I'd like to upgrade to FC3, per Jarod's instructions
> (http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php#apt).  When I enter:
>
> apt-get install kernel=2.6.9-1.724_FC3
>
> I get an error:
>
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> E: Version ='2.6.9-1.724_FC3' for 'kernel' was not found
>
> My current kernel is 2.4.22-1.2197.nptl_51.rhfc1.at.
>
> Can anyone tell me what kernel I should request for FC3 or, better
> yet, where I can find a list of the latest kernels accessible through
> apt-get?

If you run FC1 now you should use the normal CD/FTP/... upgrade procedure
for your system. (Read the FC documentation on this!) Then make sure your
APT config file points to the proper repositories and bring it up-to-date
with apt-get.

I have not done this myself and there is a good change you loose a lot of
config work in the process. (But you know all about the importance
of backups I hope.)

Unless there is a pressing need to go for FC3 and such I would recommend
you study the steps carefully before you even think of giving it a try.
Preferably you should do this on a test machine first.

Hugo.