[mythtv-users] MythTV on XBox

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Jan 10 12:16:53 EST 2005

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 23:22:20 -0700, nowhere <nowhere at cox.net> wrote:

> This does sound interesting. How much should I expect to fork out? Seems
> like about $100 for an Xbox + $50 for a mod chip, then some solder time
> or about $250 for a modded system and whatever I want to pay for a
> bigger hard drive yah?

i got my XBox for Christmas, so $0 there. ;)  but i haven't seen any
'new' systems for < $150.  but you may be able to get a used system
off eBay cheaper (which may be better if you decide to upgrade the
memory).
mod chips range in price, the one i purchased was ~$60 and came with a
Linux distribution for the XBox.  www.smartxx.com - smartxx v2 LE
i installed a 300GB Seagate in my XBox, roughly $190.
solder time took me a couple hours, but if you have experience and
have done a lot of reading in the various XBox mod forums, i've heard
that i can take less than 30 mins...  ymmv. :)  having done it once i
could probably do it in under an hour now since i know what i'm
looking for.  you can buy pre-modded systems on eBay and off of some
of the XBox mod sites.  i didn't look at prices since i wanted to do
it myself.

> How does the xbmc handle power down? Just punch the power button?

yep

> Does it support a remote? Couldn't really tell from the xbmc site (although I
> haven't spent a ton of time reading it yet :P) Do I need to buy some
> kind of DVD kit for the xbox? I do remember seeing a bunch of JP1 talk
> there. Something else I would have to learn...

there is a DVD kit for the XBox that includes a remote and an IR
sensor.  i believe it works with XBMC but i don't have the DVD kit so
i haven't tried it.

> Sorry to keep this OT on the list but seems there are a couple of people
> interested :)

if you're planning on installing Linux and MythTv on it then it's not
off-topic. :)
but for a mobile system, like a conversion van for example, you might
be better off using XBMC instead of MythTv.  or if you really want
Linux, just use MPlayer or Xine to view your videos off of a USB
drive; but then you don't get the fancy menus and pretty front end of
Myth.

> And again, I want this to store a pile of Divx encode DVD movies and
> play them. If the Xbox still functions as an Xbox then BONUS!

Depending on the way you mod your XBox you can do both.  you can even
play XBox Live in some cases without worrying about getting banned.
but i would guess that playing XBox Live in a conversion van is still
a ways off since  you probably won't want to play in your driveway or
at Starbucks. ;)