[mythtv-users] Can't use MacOS X frontend on wireless network

Eggert Thorlacius eggi at menandmice.com
Mon Jan 10 06:18:35 EST 2005

On 9.1.2005, at 19:15, Bryan Murphy wrote:

> Same problem here.  I think it has more to do with OSX + MythTV than
> the network, but I have no idea how to fix it.  That being said, I've
> found that disabling other network programs (ssh, fire, web browser,
> etc.) helps considerably.

Thanks.  I don't quite understand *why* this should work, but I tried
quitting all the obvious candidates (Mail, Fire etc) and MythFrontend
ran for over 10 minutes (an impressive improvement).  What was even
more impressive was that I ran out of power after a few minutes so the
Mac went to sleep and when I woke it up again it continued playing live
TV as if nothing had happened!

> Also, on my iBook (1.2ghz + 1g RAM), MythTV runs 60%+ and spikes much
> higher.  Firefox sucks up a lot of CPU, so I have an especially hard
> time watching TV and browsing concurrently.  In my experience, the OSX
> sheduler isn't even in the same league as the one my Linux box.

Well, IMHO, the Mac scheduler is pretty good, but that is probably
because the only comparison that I have is Windows :-)

> MythTV on Linux is bleeding edge.  MythTV on OSX is bleeding edge of a
> bleeding edge.  I expect it to improve over time. ;)

And speking of bleeding edge: does anyone know whether the latest CVS
version of the Mac client is better in this regard?

Eggert