[mythtv-users] Is this a memory leak?

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Sun Jan 9 21:41:25 EST 2005

I'm having a problem with mythfrontend freezing, well, actually it locks
up the entire computer.  It can play live TV for 30 to 120 minutes
before it freezes.  The same thing happens with recorded movies.  It
seems to be memory related.

I ran the K performance monitor.  Results are:
- the machine starts with 380 Meg of ram.
- start X and memory stabilizes, running at about 139 Meg,
- start mythbackend, it uses about 10 meg of memory and stabilizes.
- start mythfrontend, it uses about 35 meg of memory and stabilizes.
- Play live TV and memory slowly ramps up to just under maximum
available.  This takes about 10 minutes.
- Leave it playing and I see memory bobbling around 4 meg under max.
- If I leave it running like this, it will eventually freeze the machine
(press reset button to recover).

During the ramp up to max:
- Stop playing live TV and memory return to normal (usually).
- Start playing live TV again and memory ramps up to max.
- While memory is ramping up, change channel and it levels out for about
2 minutes, then starts to ramp up again.

Most of my experience says this is a memory leak.  Anyone have an idea
of what to do?  Thanks,
Don

PS:
distro - Slackware 9.1
Kernel - 2.4.7
ivtv driver - 2.ivtv-0.2.0-rc3a
firmware - pvr48wdm_1.8.22037.exe (as I recall)
mythtv-0.16
mythweb-0.16