[mythtv-users] slightly OT: creating a video on demand library

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sun Jan 9 21:30:41 EST 2005

Matt Garman wrote:

>I'm not so much interesting in using MythTV for watching/recording
>TV as I am for using it as a music and video jukebox.
>
>I've pretty much got the music setup: I ripped all my CDs to MP3,
>set the ID3 tags, created playlists and installed MythMusic.
>
>Now I'm wondering how to do the same thing with my DVD collection.
>I'd like to copy the DVDs to my hard drive, strip out all the extra
>features (director commentary, foreign language, subtitles, etc) and
>then store them with some kind of index (akin to an MP3 playlist
>combined with ID3 info).
>
>I've used the 'dvdbackup' program to copy a couple DVDs to my hard
>drive.  Now I'm looking at a collection of BUP, IFO and VOB files
>that I really don't know what to do with.
>
>Any suggestions are appreciated!

MythVideo can play the VOB files and, well, anything that mplayer, xine,
or any other external player can play because it just executes a
command-line to play each file.  What I've done is add the .VOB
extension to MythVideo in the setup and instructed it to use mplayer to
play them.  Works fine and once you do that they will be added by the
video manager and managed just like AVI or other files.

Kevin