[mythtv-users] Talking to more than one backend

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Sat Jan 8 17:11:00 EST 2005

Just a wishlist feature.  After giving a mythtv box to family, I
want to be able to maintain it.  I can make a tunnel and run mythweb,
or even phpmyadmin.

But I don't want to run mythfrontend remotely for a couple of reasons.
A big x application can be slow over a remote link, and since my screen
is the same size, it will do the annoying resizing of all the graphics
once for me and then once for them, unless I set my screen to their
exact size.

A couple of options that might make this nice:

    a) Command line options on mythfrontend to say which backend to talk
       to, or perhaps more simply, which mysql.txt file to use to say which
       SQL server & DB to talk to for that info.       Needs to have
       the ability to set the port for the mysql server because the way
       tunnel over ssh works is via port forwarding a different port to
       the sql server on the remote machine.

    I could do a script to swap in different mysql.txt files but
    the port issue is another matter.

    b) If I do run it remotely over X, have the cache of sizes be done
       once per screen size, so temporarily running it over X doesn't
       reset things.  Or if not once per screen size, once per X server.
       ie. have one cache for $DISPLAY = ":0.0" and another one for
       my remote X server.