[mythtv-users] mythweb probs with .htaccess

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Fri Jan 7 22:42:45 EST 2005

>>Then again, as much as I love packages, I think they are totally stupid
>>for web programs (too many variances in where people like to put their
>>web trees).  But that's another issue altogether.
> Distros can standardise on those things though and provide packages that
> meet the standard.

Standardize on what things?  The fact that my web pages exist at
/var/www/example.com/html/ for virtual domains on my servers that hold
virtual domains, or /var/www/secure_html/ on my mythweb server?  What
about people who want /var/www/example.com/mythtv/ for their mythweb
setup?  The point is that webmasters, not distros, choose their setups,
and every webmaster I've dealt with seems to have their own way of doing
things.

But that's just my personal bias.  I love packages, but as a webmaster
who maintains a variety of different setups, they don't work for
anything but the most simplistic web tree setups.  Plus, as we've seen
here, some web packages (mythweb) often have some (often optional) setup
stuff that packagers can't/don't do, and people don't always know that
packages usually toss things like INSTALL and README files in alternate
locations.

-Chris