[mythtv-users] TV Output Interlace/Resolution Questions...

John P. Mitchell john at cepros.com
Fri Jan 7 17:29:58 EST 2005

First:
   Happy New Year to everyone.
   I hope those affected by the tsunami are doing all right. My
condolences to those who may have lost loved ones in the catastrophe.
We are pulling for you.

Second:
   Does anyone know what the highest resolution a normal non-HD TV can
handle? I have searched around and it seems as though it is 720x480 for
NTSC. Seems as though the TV out on my video card can handle 720x480,
but X just makes a mess on the screen and I am forced to kill it from a
terminal. This is a Geforce 4MX video solution on my PC frontend going
through the S-Video output, and the Geforce 3 video solution going
through the yellow RCA output (composite?) on my XBox.
   Can anyone enlighten me on interlacing? I am a little foggy on the
whole subject when you throw digitizing into the mix. I know how it
works with a TV receiving a broadcast over the air, but how does it
work with signals that are digitized with an encoder and then displayed
on a TV? What would the proper interlace settings be? I think I have
something wrong as quick action ranges from a little choppy to very
choppy. Does not matter on which frontend I play the video on so I do
not think I am dropping frames.

Regards,
    John P. Mitchell <john at cepros.com>
    Email Sticker: My Boss is a Jewish carpenter
    http://www.GoboLinux.org | User #00010110