[mythtv-users] HDTV Success Stories?

Roy Murphy roy.murphy at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 15:19:54 EST 2005

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:12:05 -0800, Brad Templeton
<brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 10:05:21AM -0800, Joe Barnhart wrote:
> >
> > --- Roy Murphy <roy.murphy at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm going to be driving a 1080i native HDTV CRT with
> > > a VGA-Composite
> > > adaptor (no DVI or HDMI inputs on this model). I
> > > hear that an nvidia
> > > adapter can drive HD with less processor, but
> > > interlace dosn't work.
> >
> > nVidia 5200 FX is your best bet.  XvMC doesn't work
> > correctly with myth, but Xv works pretty well.  I have
> > a setup exactly as you describe -- RPTV locked to
> > 1080i over VGA -- and 1080i output looks VERY good.
> > My 720p shows are sub-optimal but I think that's
> > because of the scaling done to convert it to 1080i on
> > the fly.  I have more jaggies and motion artifacts
> > than I should see.  But it's very smooth in both
> > cases.  I'm using KnoppMyth R4V5 on an Intel 530 (3
> > GHZ) and Intel 865PE chipset.
>
> You won't be using DVI but many people have reported inability
> to get DVI to work with this card.
>
> Now I may have been alone in this, but I found that even
> when driving with vga through a vga->component converter,
> when I displayed at 1080i on the HDTV, there would be a
> slight jerkiness to the video.   Plenty of idle CPU so
> that wasn't the cause.   When I would us exactly the
> same setup to a progressive monitor at lower resolution
> (so xvideo was scaling the 1920x1080 window down) it was
> smooth as silk.

Anyone tried the ASUS DiGiMatrix? The SiS chipset seems to be well
supported in Linux. It even appears to have component HDTV output on
the back of the box. The bundled TV/FM tuner card is probably only so
much solder and sand to Linux, but the rest of the system appears
interesting, if pricy. It has the decided advantage of actually being
in stock somewhere ($319 at NewEgg).