[mythtv-users] Gentoo and CVS

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Fri Jan 7 12:13:48 EST 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 08:34:00AM -0600, Baudouin, Andrew top-posted (grr):
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 08:22:00AM -????, Jens Baumeister wrote:
> > I'm wondering, however, how well Gentoo plays with CVS versions: If I
> > decide later on to grab a CVS version of MyhTV, would I be able to go
> > back to using one from the portage tree if I wanted to, or would that
> > be as difficult as trying to mix installs from most of the binary
> > package managers with manual compiles?
>
> If you manually compiled a CVS version of any software package, portage
> would not know that you had it installed.  Trying to emerge a different
> version of mythtv from the portage tree, for example, would stomp all over
> your CVS installation.

You could write an ebuild and place it under /usr/local/portage someplace.
Grabbing code from a CVS server from within an ebuild could be tricky,
though...either you'd want to grab a tarball with the newest code if it's
available, or you could sync with the server manually, create a tarball, and
dump it in /usr/portage/distfiles.  That would keep Portage aware that you
have a CVS version of some package on your system, at least.

  _/_