[mythtv-users] UK DVB-T problems

James Fidell james at cloud9.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 08:47:49 EST 2005

Quoting Nick Craig-Wood (nick at craig-wood.com):
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:45:24PM +0000, James Fidell wrote:
>
> > I'm guessing those figures really aren't good news and might explain why
> > I can't see any channels from other muxes on that transmitter?
>
> Yes you are correct!
>
> The mux with BBC ONE (Myx 1) in is broadcast in QAM 16 which is better
> than the QAM 64 of the other multiplexes, and is probably at higher
> power.  You have a very low signal on that so its unlikely you'll get
> the other muxes.  You are getting uncorrectable errors in the above
> which will render the video very annoying!
>
> My worst multiplex (Mux A) has around 0x1000 correctable errors per
> second and no uncorrectable errors.  You've got about 10 times that
> many errors.  On Mux 1 I get no ber/unc at all!
>
> Use this (sort by mux) if you want to see what channel is where
>
>   http://homepages.enterprise.net/cavan/scripts/dtt/dtt.cgi
>
> So, better upgrade your aerial!

At least part of the problem, I think, is that I don't have anything
even close to line-of-sight to any TV transmitter at all. I'm probably
30 miles from the Mendip transmitter with the Quantocks in the way. I'm
also about 20 miles from the Stockland Hill transmitter, but that hardly
carries anything more than I can already get from the Mendip one, it's a
lot lower power and the Blackdowns are in the way, too.)

James