[mythtv-users] Re: Tearing in playback

Fri Jan 7 08:11:28 EST 2005

On 07/01/2005, at 9:51 PM, Tom Hughes wrote:

>> The first line makes sense - I don't have an NVIDIA card :).  I'm
>> confused as to why RTC is giving permission denied - I'm running my
>> front end as root.  I've got things to look at now - Thanks.
>
> If you're root then that seems odd. The only things I would have
> thought likely to do that are the permissions on /dev/rtc which
> should be irrelevant as root can open any file. The other thing
> would be the dev.rtc.max-user-freq kernel configuration value but
> that only limits non-root users.
>
> Maybe your kernel (or your hardware) has some hard limit on the
> setting of the RTC frequency?

I guess I lied slightly. :)  I'm running the front end setuid root.
Maybe the front end is dropping root privs in the relevant thread
before trying to do what it is doing?  Hmm, /dev/rtc is rw by group
audio, and user mythtv is in that group.

I'm looking into building an Xorg server with DRM...  we'll see how it
goes :)

Will         :-}

--
Dr William Uther                            National ICT Australia
Phone: +61 2 9385 6357             School of Computer Science and