[mythtv-users] Gentoo and CVS

Robin Elvin rob at fearsedge.com
Thu Jan 6 10:31:15 EST 2005

Hi Jens,

I thought I would share my experience of MythTV on Gentoo to help you decide.

Being a Gentoo user for over a year I decided that I would build my Myth box
on Gentoo as I like portage and as Myth was in portage, why not?

I found a Guide (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Setup_MythTV) which I thought
would help and off I went and completed the base install. From then on it was
a real struggle to get everything working. Problems ranged from having to
patch gentoo-dev-sources to packages failing to build because the source was
in the wrong place. Having said that I have wrestled Myth 0.16 onto my box,
from portage, and I am very happy now.

So, if you are up for a challenge and you are reasonably experienced then by
all means go Gentoo and I can help where I can. Otherwise you might be better
looking at another distro. (I can't believe I suggested that!)

As for your CVS vs. portage question, you can by all means mix and match but
remember the beauty of portage for ease of uninstalling and version control.
And you may have to emerge --inject some packages you have compiled from CVS
which another package has a dependency on to tell portage you have it
already.

As I said, I'm running Myth happily out of portage. I'm not one for the
bleeding edge unless absolutely necessary and in this case it isn't.

Regards

--
Rob

On Thursday 06 January 2005 14:22, Jens Baumeister wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a couple of days ago, I asked about which Fedora Core version to use
> with MythTV and DVB and promptly received an answer. Thanks for that.
>
> After doing some more research I now lean towards using Gentoo instead:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4lxdb makes it sound a bit easier to look out for
> all the dependencies than doing everything by hand and the install
> guide for Gentoo - while a bit intimidating - looks like the right mix
> of geekiness and ease-of-use for me. :-)
>
> I'm wondering, however, how well Gentoo plays with CVS versions: If I
> decide later on to grab a CVS version of MyhTV, would I be able to go
> back to using one from the portage tree if I wanted to, or would that
> be as difficult as trying to mix installs from most of the binary
> package managers with manual compiles?
>
> Thanks any insight.
>
> Jens

Rob