[mythtv-users] Audio Dies When Recording Starts

Rob Rosenfeld mythtv.org at rosenfeld.to
Wed Jan 5 16:56:30 EST 2005

Rob Rosenfeld wrote:

> My MythTV has been running well for a while now.  I'm been running CVS
> on 2.6.9 kernel with alsa driver 1.07.  I last updated on 12/30 and
> System Status reports the Myth version as 0.16.20041224-1.  Since the
> last update, once a recording starts, audio is dead on the entire
> system.  For example, today I had a scheduled recording.  I was
> watching a show and I clicked the [sic] go ahead and record prompt.
> The recording started properly, but there was no audio.  Now that the
> recording's done, I still have no audio.  It just isn't Myth, but no
> audio app run as any user outputs any sound.  They don't report any
> errors.
> Does anyone have any ideas as to what's happening or where to start
> looking?

Well, I got no response, but have isolated this problem further, and am
more convinced it has to do with MythTV. I have rebuilt MythTV against a
few ALSA (1.05, 1.06, 1.07, and 1.08)  and ivtv (0.2.0-rc3 and 0.3.2)
versions.  I wish I could be more clear, but here's the behavior I
observe.  Sometimes (I can't see why it's not always since I record
everything with the same settings) when I play a recording sound
disappears.  This can be either when I go via media library or as above,
when I watch while recording.  As above, sound is dead for all apps and
users on my system.  However, if I play a small MPEG with mplayer
outside MythTV it seems to reset the sound.

I am configured to use ALSA:default for sound out.

Does this prod any further thoughts?

I wonder if the recent sound codebase updates have done something to the
init/deinit of the sound code?