[mythtv-users] Front end hardware?

stan stanb at panix.com
Wed Jan 5 13:48:19 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 09:59:32AM -0800, Asher Schaffer wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:18:42 -0500, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:
> > Would this make a decent Myth Front end only box?
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/4cojm
> >
> > Or can anyone suggest something in a similar form factor that they have
> > working well?
> >

> This has been discussed a lot, try searching the list.  for a
> frontend, X-box can be done easily, an EPIA will work too, but
> requires more work to get it going.

Thanks, it dawned on me after I mailed that I had not been very specific.

What I want to do is create a small machine to use for a frontend. I will
probably do a KnoppMyth install on it (on a local hard) drive at first, and
_may_ move to a diskless setup later. I don't really plan on using TV Out,
just add a nice computer monitor, and I don't plan on using a remote, just
a RF keyboard. I also have a preference for AMD processors over Intel.

Given that, and a desire to do it as cost effectively as possible, what are
other peoples experiences? (both good and bad).

sn't the X Box solution a bit of work alos? Don't you have to add a chip or
something to make it run Linux? BTW what's EPIA?

Thanks.

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin