[mythtv-users] question

Bryan Brannigan bryan.brannigan at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 22:03:00 EST 2005

> 1)Can Mythtv go higher than 125?
I believe the 125 channel limit on tuners is a "cable-ready" thing.
Myth can handle as many channels as you can throw at it.  If you are
using satellite or digital cable you will have to use the box
proviided by your company... tuning it via IR blaster or serial cable.

> 2.)Do you have to have the cable box / satelite reciever  set up, turned on
> and tuned to that channel that you wish to record, like a timed VCR or not?
Short answer; yes.. see above.  Myth will take the input from you
cable box by S-Video for example.

> 3) I  seem to be confused as to which operating system is preferred to be
> used.  I think I saw Debian but it was unstable?  I don't know linux yet,
> but I am willing to give it a try to make this all work.
Linux is the operating system (or kernel) Debian is a distribution of
that operating system.  I use Fedora Core 3 as my distribution and it
work pretty well.  I wouldn't recommend Debian for a Linux newbie as
it can get a little rough around the edges.