[mythtv-users] Has anyone configured a "semi"-diskless frontend?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Jan 4 17:19:06 EST 2005

Robert Kulagowski wrote:

> I have a number of frontends, each with local storage.  I have a
> master backend which is already serving as a DHCP / TFTP / NFS server
> to a MediaMVP and my frontends.
>
> What I'd like to do is take my existing frontends (one a Debian
> unstable, one a FC2) and set them up as semi-diskless; boot off the
> local storage, then switch to using NFS for everything else, at which
> point I can spin-down the local hard drive, reducing noise.
>
> I'm not really interested in a complete diskless system, and the
> various HOWTO's that I've seen pretty much revolve around netbooting /
> PXE.
>
> Has anyone already done something similar?

I haven't done it but I'm getting ready to.  I am looking at doing a
CD-ROM netboot image (basically the floppy netboot image written to a
CD) and getting everything from NFS from that point.  I had tracked down
a couple links in my research to date.

http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/Network-boot-HOWTO/index.shtml
This seemed promising and talked a bit about the bootable CD-ROM

The netboot site has the basic HOWTO for making the floppy.  I believe
that the same process holds true for the CD-ROM.

Kevin